Dominions vs puppets. A simple guide for Victoria 3
If you love strategy games, you might have heard of Victoria 3. In this game, you can be the leader of a whole nation and make important decisions. You will have to make decisions about how to govern your nation, and one important choice is whether to become a Dominion or a Puppet.
Dominions and puppets are two types of vassals in Victoria 3. Dominions are more autonomous than puppets, and they have more freedom to act independently. Puppets, on the other hand, are more tightly controlled by Players, and they must follow their player’s orders. Which means they are subject to your decisions.
Here is a table summarizing the key differences between dominions vs puppets.
|Freedom to act independently||More||Less|
|Must follow overlord’s orders||No||Yes|
|Infamy cost to annex||Higher||Lower|
|Diplomatic play options||More||Less|
In Short, Dominions are a better option for the players who want to have a more hands-off approach to their vassal state.
Puppets are a better option for the players who want to have more control over their vassal state.
The Pros and Cons of Dominions vs Puppets in Victoria 3
- In Dominions, more autonomy gives them more freedom to act independently, which can be beneficial if you want them to focus on their development.
- They can start their diplomatic plays, which can give you more options for expanding your influence.
- They have a higher infamy cost to annex, which can help you avoid getting into trouble with other countries.
- Dominions can be difficult to manage, as you will need to keep an eye on their development and make sure they are not getting into trouble.
- They can be less reliable in wars, as they may or may not always follow your orders.
- They are easier to manage, as you do not need to worry about their development or their actions in wars.
- They can be more reliable in wars, as they will always follow your orders.
- They have a lower infamy cost to annex, which can make it easier to expand your empire.
- They have less autonomy, which means you have less control over their development and actions.
- They can only start diplomatic plays against you, which can limit your options for expanding your influence.
Dominion vs Puppet: What’s the Difference?
In Victoria 3, Dominions and Puppets have their advantages and disadvantages, so it’s important to understand the difference between them before you make a decision.
Dominions are more autonomous than Puppets. They can create their diplomacy, wage their wars, and even create their subjects. However, they are still part of your empire and must pay you a weekly tribute.
Puppets have no autonomy. They must follow your orders in all matters, including diplomacy, war, and trade. They also pay you a higher weekly tribute than Dominions.
Puppet nations receive military support from the ruling power. This means that in times of conflict, the dominant nation will defend and protect its Puppet, removing the burden of maintaining a large military force. This support can be crucial for smaller nations facing external threats.
Which is Better Dominions or Puppets?
It depends on your goals. If you want to have an empire with huge autonomy, then Dominions are a good choice.
If you want to have a tightly controlled empire with a lot of power, then Puppets are the better option.
At last, choose your vassal on your own playstyle and personal preferences. If you want to have a more hands-off approach for your territory, then dominions are a good option. If you want more control over your vassals, then puppets are a good choice.
- Your playstyle– If you like to play a more hands-off game, then Dominions may be a better option. Puppets require more micromanagement.
- Your goals– If you want to expand your empire quickly, then Puppets may be the better option. Dominions can take a longer time to develop.
- The strength of the country you are conquering– If you are conquering a weak country, then either Dominions or Puppets will be easy to control. However, if you are conquering a strong country, then Puppets may be the better option. If they are weak, they will be more likely to stay loyal to you.
How to Use Dominions and Puppets to Your Advantage in Victoria 3
- Use Dominions to expand your influence– Dominions can be used to expand your empire without actually taking over another country. This can be very helpful to increase your influence and gain access to new markets.
- Use Puppets to control strategic locations– Puppets can be used to control strategic locations, such as chokepoints or important resources. This can help you to defend your empire and prevent other countries from gaining a strategic advantage.
- Use Dominions and Puppets to Build up your economy– Dominions and Puppets can be helpful for your economy. They can provide you with more resources and people to work for you. With those extra resources and people, you can make your military stronger and your economy more powerful. It’s like having more workers and materials to help you get things done.
Ultimately, the decision of whether to create a Dominion or a Puppet is up to you. The best option depends on your playstyle and goals.
Dominions and Puppets can be a valuable asset to your empire. By understanding the difference between them and using them wisely, you can increase your power and influence in the world.